At present the Hermitage museum occupies five buildings joined together with roofed passageways. They are: Winter Palace, Small Hermitage, Old Hermitage, New Hermitage, and Hermitage Theater.
1. The Winter Palace was built in Baroque style by architect Bartolomeo Rastrelli. It took eight years to complete it from 1754-1762. Empress Elizabeth I commissioned the palace for herself.
2. The Small Hermitage was designed by architects Vallin de La Mothe and Yuri Velten in 1764-1775 to accommodate the private art collection of Catherine II.
3. The Old Hermitage was added by architect Yuri Velten in 1770-1787 as the collection was increased and it was needed one more building to exhibit it.
4. The New Hermitage was designed by the German architect Leo von Klenze, and built by Stasov and Yefimov in 1842-1851. It was officially opened for public where the part of the royal collection was shown.
5. The Hermitage Theater was constructed by architect Quarenghi in 1783-1787. Nowadays you can visit various performances here
Author: Ekaterina Chistyakova
Visit the grand locations Hermitage Museum and many others that St Petersburg has to offer!
Contact us@ Russian InfoCenter to Book Classic Russia tour 5n/6d and more tour packages from India to Russia
Choose from flights ex Delhi, Mumbai & Calcutta
Fill the form below and we’ll get back to you right away!